National Centre of Competence in Research NCCR SwissMAP - The Mathematics of Physics is an interdisciplinary research center at the crossroads of mathematics and theoretical physics. In recent years, the interaction between these two fields has led to the creation of a new discipline where mathematical rigor and physical intuition merge in a natural way.
Our goal is to bring our understanding of this field to a new level, which will have two-fold benefits: on one hand, it will help to make the description of nature mathematically more precise, and on the other it will lead to a deeper understanding of the mathematics in terms of which these physical ideas are described.
The National Centres of Competence in Research (NCCR) are a research instrument of the Swiss National Science Foundation
NCCR SwissMAP is hosted by its leading house – University of Geneva, and co-leading house – ETH Zurich. Its research network also includes University of Zurich, EPFL, University of Bern, University of Fribourg and CERN.
The annual journal "SwissMAP Perspectives":
The Scientific Advisory Board:
For each NCCR, the SNSF appoints a Review Panel composed of renowned experts whose task it is to evaluate scientific quality and the progress made in NCCR projects. The Review Panel of the NCCR SwissMAP consists of the following experts:
- Prof. François David, Institut de Physique Théorique, CEA-Saclay, FR
- Prof. Krzysztof Gawedzki, Ecole Normale Supérieure, FR
- Prof. Peter Goddard, School of Natural Sciences, Institute for Advanced Study, US
- Prof. Alice Guionnet, Unité de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, FR
- Prof. Daniel Huybrechts, Institut für Mathematik, Universität Bonn, DE
- Prof. Herbert Spohn, Zentrum Mathematik, TU München, DE
- Prof. Michèle Vergne, Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu, Université Paris 6, FR
In addition, the National Research Council appoints three of its members as representatives to the panel:
- Prof. Friedrich Eisenbrand (Chair), SNSF, Division Programmes, EPF Lausanne, CH
- Prof. Frank Scheffold, SNSF, Division Programmes, University of Fribourg, CH
- Prof. Eva Bayer-Flückiger, SNSF, Division Mathematics, Natural and Engineering Sciences, EPF Lausanne, CH
Contact person at the SNSF:
- Dr. Marc Zbinden, NCCR Team, Swiss National Science Foundation